ABOUT ST JAMES’S
St James's is bounded to the north by Piccadilly and Mayfair, to the west by Green Park, to the south by The Mall bounding St. James's Park, and to the east by Haymarket.
HISTORY OF ST JAMES’S
St James's is a central district in the City of Westminster, London, forming part of the West End. In the 17th century the area developed as a residential location for the British aristocracy, and around the 19th century was the focus of the development of gentlemen's clubs. Once part of the parish of St Martin in the Fields, much of it formed the parish of St James from 1685 to 1922. Since the Second World War the area has transitioned from residential to commercial use.
PROPERTY IN ST JAMES’S
Properties in St James’s are some of the most exclusive in the world offering some of London’s most outstanding architecture. St James’s is steeped in history and is ideal for someone looking to retain a Central London base.
LIVING IN ST JAMES’S
St James's is home to many of the best known gentlemen's clubs in London. The clubs are organisations of English high society. A variety of groups congregate here, such as royals, military officers, motoring enthusiasts, and other groups. In 1990, the Carlton Club, traditional meeting place for members of the Conservative Party, was struck by an IRA bomb.
Art galleries catering for a spectrum of tastes occupy premises in the area. The White Cube gallery, which represents Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin, opened in Duke Street before moving to Hoxton Square.
Other notable modern and contemporary art dealers in the St James's area include Helly Nahmad Gallery, Paisnel Gallery, Bernard Jacobson Gallery, Thomas Dane, Whitford Fine Art and Panter & Hall.
On the southernmost border of St James's is The Mall where The Institute of Contemporary Arts and the Mall Galleries are located.
SCHOOLS IN ST JAMES’S